It’s fitting that Calvin’s namesake chapel is so austere.
This single-nave chapel played an important role in the Protestant Reformation. From 1536, the auditorium was a lecture hall where Calvin espoused his theories (Geneva accepted the Reformation in 1535). When Protestant refugees flocked to Geneva from all over Europe, they were encouraged to conduct services in their own languages here.
The current structure was built in the 13th century over its fifth-century predecessor.
1 pl. de la Taconnerie, Vieille Ville, Geneva, 12