Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg, Alsace, France

Along the castle walls

Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg occupies a strategic position over the Alsace plains, the Vosges, the Black Forest and the Alps. It was originally constructed in the 12th century for the purpose of watching over the wine and wheat routes to the north and the silver and salt routes running east-west.

Sweeping views in every direction

The castle sits 700 meters high on a rocky, promontory site.

Pink sandstone sets this castle apart

Rooftop

Inside the courtyard

During its history, the castle was besieged, destroyed and finally abandoned after being pillaged and burnt to the ground during the Thirty Years’ War.

A medieval door

Castle entrance

In 1899, German Emperor Wilhelm II took on this renovation as his pet project to symbolize Alsace’s then-return to Germany. Care was taken to restore its medieval look and details.

Medieval armor display

When the Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1919, the castle was handed over to the French government. As you can imagine, the renovations were an ongoing, sore subject between the French and Germans.

, , , ,