Some church! The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is an enormous white wedding cake of a church smack in the middle of town. It was built in 1540, back when Panjim was a sleepy fishing village and the first port of call for Portugese sailors, who would then worship here after a safe landing.
Everything about this church screams extravagance, which is consistent with the religious and economic times of yore. Tall twin towers are representative of a typical Portugese baroque style.
The Bell of Inquisition is the second largest in the world. It originally adorned The Church of Our Lady of Grace and was moved in 1841.
Two gilded, embellished altars flank the Renaissance-style main altar and marble sculptures (St. Paul and St. Peter) adorn each side.