Duomo di Como

Como’s impressive marble Duomo was designed by Lorenzo degli Spazzi. Construction began in 1396 and lasted 300 years. It’s considered the last Gothic cathedral in Italy.

Though its style is mostly Gothic, Romanesque, Renaissance and baroque elements are also present.

It was built on the ruins of the Romanesque basilica dedicated to Santa Maria Maggiore. Remnants include the two 12th-century lion statues holding the holy water.

The front features a rose window between two statues of Como natives, Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger.

You can’t miss the high octagonal rococo dome that rises 75 meters into the sky.

The interior follows the Latin cross plan, with a Gothic nave and two aisles divided by pilasters. The transept wing and relative aspes are from Renaissance.

16th and 17th century tapestries and paintings by Giuseppe Arcimboldi, Bernardino Luini and Gaudenzio Ferrari adorn the interior.

Como’s Broletto, or medieval town hall, is right next to the Duomo.

Piazza del Duomo, open daily 7 a.m.-noon and 3-7 p.m.

, , , , , , , , ,